Oct 26, 2009

Trying something new: King Arthur’s Almost-No-Knead Baguette



I love to bake Bread, each Day I make a new Batch of dough. I adore the smell and feel of fresh yeast, the tangy smell of the sourdough starter. I like the silky feeling of the plum dough after it has risen just before you use your hands to give it shape. 
I know that a lot of people will never understand why I can cry over a starter that has died or a bread that taste like cardboard because I again forgot to add salt.
All I know is that I need this time in the kitchen kneading my dough like I need the bread to feed my family.
This was the first time I tried to bake a Baguette. And since I wanted to at least have a chance to bake something that while maybe not become a Baguette would at least taste good I took a chance on this little Almost No Knead Baguette from Kind Arthur’s. 

It is so easy and tastes divine. My mother in lay always takes some dough home to bake it for herself.


I also use the dough for Pizza if I have some left. I made little Baguette Rolls the other day and some Bread sticks. I love to play with it. 


Try it and tell me what you came up with.

See you next time.

King Arthur’s Almost-No-Knead Baguette

Ingredients
3 cups lukewarm water ( I use 3 ½ cups )
8 cups All-Purpose Flour 
1 tablespoon table salt or 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon instant yeast (I use 20g fresh yeast)

Directions
1) Find a large (6-quart) bowl or bucket, for dough storage in the fridge. Lightly grease the bowl or bucket. 

2) Place the water directly into the bowl or or other large container. 

3) Add the dry ingredients to the water, and stir to combine. Mix until there are no dry spots; the texture of the dough should be fairly soft. 

4) Knead the dough gently for a few minutes, by hand; it'll be very sticky. Or knead for 1 or 2 minutes in a stand mixer. Cover the container, and let the dough rest at room temperature for 2 hours. 

5) Refrigerate overnight, or for up to 7 days. 

6) To bake bread: Scoop out a scant 1 pound of dough (about ¼ of the batch, about 14 ½ ounces). Place on a greased work surface. 

7) Shape the dough into a rough, slightly flattened oval, cover with greased plastic wrap, and let rest for 15 minutes. 

8) Fold the dough in half lengthwise, and seal the edges with the heel of your hand. Flatten slightly, and fold lengthwise and seal again. 

9) With the seam side down, cup your fingers and gently roll the of dough into a 15" log. 

10) Place the log seam-side down onto a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet, or into the well of a baguette pan. 

11) Cover and allow the baguette to rise till it's very puffy, about 1 1/2 hours. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat your oven to 450°F. 

12) Slash the baguette three or four times on the diagonal. 

13) Spritz the baguette heavily with warm water, and bake until a very deep golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack. 

Yield: 1 large baguette.


1 comment:

Trissa said...

I have to admit - I went to your post to look for macarons and I found them - they look very pretty BUT what really attracted me was the bread! It is gorgeous. I am a big bread eater - what a great recipe. Now I want the book!