Nov 18, 2009

Do it yourself: Homemade Ricotta




I have no idea why it took me so long to come back to this. 

A few Years back you could not buy Ricotta in Germany so my Stepfather at that time (who was an Italian chef) each week made a big Pot of Ricotta.

I watched but never did it myself. After the divorce, I just forgot about it.

So now I can buy Ricotta but it’s pretty expensive and we don’t have this much money. What means my boys don’t know the pleasure of Ricotta Cakes, Ricotta Bund Cake, Pasta filled with Ricotta and so on.

What a good thing I finally did it.

Yesterday I made Ricotta and let me tell you it’s easy, cheaper and if you are using a bigger pot ( so it will not cook over and make a mess) it’s painless.

 

Give it a try and please tell me how you like it.



This Pot is to small!


Great Ricotta. Great Mess.

Homemade Ricotta

 

Ingredients:

 

2l whole Milk

200ml cream

½ - 1 teaspoon salt (if you like I like your Ricotta salty you use 1 teaspoon)

3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice OR if not available 3 tablespoon white wine vinegar

 

Little Tip: Each time I cook milk I rinse the pot with cold water before use. This helps to prevent scorching the milk.

 

Place the Milk, cream and salt into the pot. Place the pot onto the stovetop and heat slowly, stirring occasionally.

Just before the Milk boils add the lemon juice/vinegar and stir. The curds form immediately.

Reduce the head to low and cook the mixture for one more minute.

Put a piece dampened cheesecloth into a colander and the colander into a bowl.

Careful pour the mixture into the cloth. Let it drain for at least half an hour. If you like your can lift the cheesecloth up by the four corners  hang it up and let it’s own weight do the work.

Now your Ricotta is finished.

Put it into the refrigerator for up to a week, use it immediately.

Don’t freeze it, Ricotta does not freeze well.



look at the mess and know it was worth it.

No comments: