Jan 25, 2010

Discovering Asia : Thai Spring Rolls with Pork

All long time ago, it must have been a long time ago because I was 18 at that time, I discovered my love for Chinese food.

I love the spices and the fast and easy way of cooking. Next I took a interest in Japanese food. I was amazed by the differences and at the same time I loved the similarities.

In no way would I say I was bored but now I just have to take a look into Thai food.

A good friend of us is in love, he is in love with a woman that makes the best Spring Rolls, maybe because she is Thai.

If he listens to me he will make sure that she keeps him, what means I will get a insights into this amazing culture and some recipes.

This spring roll recipe can be made vegetarian or with chicken or with shrimp or with tofu.

Give it a try, believe me that you will love it.



Thai Spring Rolls with Pork

Ingredients:

2 minced cloves garlic

1 Tbsp grated galangal 

1 Tbsp grated ginger

1 sliced green onions

1/2 minced red chilli ( you can add more, this is enough to give it flavour but no real heat)

1/2 cup shredded or finely chopped cabbage

4-6 cut shiitake mushrooms

1/2 cup cooked pork ground meat ( I like to mix the meat with a tsp cornstarch  before I fry it, it stays juicier that way)

2 cups bean sprouts

1/2  cooked Chinese vermicelli

1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander

1/2 cup chopped fresh basil

2 Tbsp. oil, plus more for frying (I like to just fry them in a pan)

1 pkg. spring roll wrappers (thawed if frozen)

2 Tbsp. regular soy sauce

2 Tbsp. fish sauce ( oyster sauce works too)

2 Tbsp. lime juice

1/4 tsp. sugar

 

Add oil into a deep frying pan or if you have one into a wok.  Add the garlic, galangal and ginger, the green onion and chilli. Stir-fry for about a minute. It may look like it`s not enough oil in the pan but believe me it is.

Now it`s time to add the cabbage, mushrooms and meat to the pan. Add the soy and fish ( oyster) sauce, not to forget the lime juice and the sugar to the mix. Stir-fry for 2 to 3 more minutes.

Remove the pan/wok from the heat and add the sprouts.

Give the filling a taste for seasoning let it cool for a few minutes. Add the basil and coriander and vermicelli.

Assemble the rolls:

Place a spring roll wrapper on the working surface. Place one heaping Tbsp. of the filling on the wrapper fold the sides of wrapper over filling, then lift up the wide end nearest you and tuck overtop.

Roll to the other end. Secure the roll by dipping your fingers in some water and wetting the end, "pasting" it shut.

Now you can deep fry the rolls or bake them in the pan/wok that has about 1 inch of oil heated over medium high heat.


Allow them to fry for 1 minute on each side. We only have to give them a nice golden brown color the filling is already cook so we only heating it. 

Drain on a paper towel while frying the rest.

You can serve the rolls with a dipping sauce ( most people like Thai Sweet Chili Sauce ) or you can just eat them with a nice tossed salad.



1 comment:

Tia said...

i've always wanted to make spring rolls. yours are wrapped so well!